Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Confessions of a Corporate (Enthusiast)

Sitting in the lawns of a huge corporate office, gazing at the glass building, wondering what the hell you’re doing here? That’s okay. You’re not the only one. I still remember the day we were sitting in the college, on the day of the interview, when we were reading about the history of the company just in case anybody pops a question about it. Waiting for the call, tension filled heads, hoping we’d get in because parents expect us to(or maybe even we!). It all started from the time when we used to bunk, bunk a lot. Pocket money wasn’t sufficient for all the movies we wanted to watch and junk we wanted to eat. Any student would want a day in his/her life when he would stop asking money from home, be financially independent and not answer to anyone for the money they spent. So did I. Maybe a little more because of an independent feminist in me. The call had come, I went in, was asked a few questions and got the job! Everyone in the house was happy, relatives proud (after all of mum’s touting about her kid getting a job with kickass salary to start work with. LOL.)

Mistake #1 : Did not apply for Masters. I should have.
Everyone around convinces you to get some work experience and apply for masters. Wrong. Experience doesn’t really count when you have good scores. Or maybe it does. But you can still get into a good university without it.

Mistake #2 : Wasted 7 months of precious time waiting for the call letter.
I could have done a lot of things. I wanted to. On top of my head right now I have guitar classes. Should have learnt how to play a guitar, but didn’t. Wasted time thinking I will get a call next day or the day after that. Days passed, actually months.

Mistake #3 : Joined IT IS. Should have waited for an IT call.
I was told that there are no IT projects anywhere in India and getting a call itself is a luck. Therefore this.
Well, I don’t regret this much because of all the wonderful people I got to meet and that Bangalore happened to come my way with all of them in it! :)

Mistake #4 : Wasted 10 months of humungus time!
I don’t regret this much either because of Bangalore and what it did to us! :)
I could have done a lot of things I wanted to do in the seven months I wasted earlier. But it was bench (a paid vacation as we called it). All you want to do is chill with roomies, go on dates and spend every last penny you have, self sympathizing for the four years of B.Tech you struggled. Yes, that was me.

Mistake #5 : This project right now!
When there was no enough money sufficient to survive in Bangalore and when at last you wanna save money, wisest thing to do is go back home! That’s what I did. Left Bangalore(and also a piece of my heart) and came here because at last, after a long wait, found a project here. Excited initially, for all the new experience to work with a team or maybe to just work ! :D

What I didn’t know was that this job was killing the enthusiasm in me, leaving me perplexed about what all this is. This is probably how it is from inside of a pressure cooker!  

Here I am now, 2 years after completing B. Tech, clear about what to do(and what not to), at least made a decision for myself and feeling thankful for the work experience which is useful for my MBA!  Everything happens for a reason. All you have to do is make your mistakes and learn from them!

1 comment:

  1. WhatEver Is Happening is for Our Good And Whatever will Happen is also For Our Good!! This Is what I Learnt From My Life!! Every Student Does The same Untill n Unless He Realizes But nevertherless seeing at your BLoG u wer Talkin a lot Money That Shows MBA is The Right Fit For u Oyi! Hahah! Way too Goo

    ReplyDelete